Hon Dean Nalder BBus GradDip(AppFin&Inv) MLA
Hon Terry Redman MLA
Construction will start at the end of this year to replace Mandurah’s 62-year old traffic bridge with a new four-lane bridge over the estuary.
Transport Minister Dean Nalder and Regional Development Minister Terry Redman said funding had now been secured for the $51.8 million project.
The State Government has allocated $40 million to this project through the Department of Transport and the City of Mandurah has contributed $3 million. The final $8.8 million will come from the State Government’s Royalties for Regions program.
“This bridge has played a significant role in Mandurah’s history, not only as a traffic bridge but for fishing, crabbing and prawning, especially when the tide changes,” Mr Nalder said.
About 24,000 vehicles travel daily over the two-lane bridge, which links Mandurah city and the commercial centre on the east side of the estuary to residential and coastal areas on the west.
Mr Redman congratulated Dawesville MLA Kim Hames on his intensive work in seeing the project to fruition and said he was pleased Royalties for Regions had been able to provide the remaining funds for the project.
“This Royalties for Regions investment has come from the Growing our South fund and will enable the replacement bridge to have additional features such as a higher clearance for bigger boats to pass under and recreational facilities such as fishing platforms,” he said.
In March this year, the Government announced Georgiou Group, Lend Lease Engineering and the OHL/York Joint Venture had been shortlisted to provide concept designs for the new bridge. They have until June 23 to submit an application to the Government.
A contract will be awarded in September/October with construction due to start later this year on the new four-lane bridge with a wide pedestrian walkway.
The design and construction project includes:
Expotrade Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 1, Level 1, 2 Brandon Park Drive
Wheelers Hill VIC 3150 Australia